Equipment and Environment Requirements
Before you test, ensure you have met the equipment and environment requirements. You will not receive a refund or a free reschedule if your test is canceled due to equipment or environment issues on test day.
- Desktop or laptop computer; you can't use a tablet or mobile device
- PC: Windows® operating system, versions 10 or 8
- MAC®: Mac OS X® 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra is recommended).
- Chrome™ or Firefox® browser
Browser Download and Equipment Check
- Download and install the ETS Secure Test Browser on the computer you'll use to test. To fully install the browser, run the file after downloading it. You can close the browser once you see the following message: "Success! You have installed the ETS secure test browser."
- Run the ProctorU® Equipment Check from the computer you'll use to test. If you fail the equipment check, you must fix any issues before test day. Live ProctorU representatives are available to help.
- Computer firewalls and security applications can interfere with the test delivery software. If you experience this issue, you may need to disable or reconfigure your applications prior to the test.
- Use an internal or external speaker to hear the proctor.
- Headsets or earphones aren't allowed.
- Use an internal or external microphone that isn't part of a headset to communicate with the proctor.
- Can be a built-in camera in the computer or a separate webcam.
- Camera must be able to be moved to show the proctor a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface, when requested by the proctor.
- You must be alone in a room with no one else entering during the test.
- You can't take the test in a public space such as a park, internet cafe or restaurant.
- You must close all doors in the room before beginning the test.
Tabletop and seating
- Your computer and keyboard must be on a desk or other tabletop surface.
- If possible, position your table and chair so the door to the room will be visible to the proctor. The proctor may require you to do this at check in.
- The tabletop and surrounding area must be clear of all items not approved for use during the test, including cell phones (except when used for check in), cameras, notes and study materials. The furniture and décor in the room don't need to be removed.
- You must sit in a standard chair; you can't sit or lie on a bed, couch or overstuffed chair.
- Food and drink aren't allowed during the test.
Clothing and appearance
- Your ears and face must remain visible throughout the test, not covered by hair, a hat or other items. Masks may not be worn during check in or any part of the at home testing session. Religious headwear is permitted if your ears remain visible during the test.
- Dress appropriately for your test. You'll be monitored via camera by the proctor, and your photo will be shared with institutions that receive your scores.
- Avoid wearing such items as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories.
- You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
- You may use 1 of the following to take notes:
- 1 small desktop whiteboard with erasable marker, no pencil or pen
- 1 sheet of paper inside a transparent sheet protector, with erasable marker
- At the end of the test, you'll need to show the proctor that all notes have been erased
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us