- The first and last name you use when you register — and the spelling of that name — must exactly match (excluding accents) the name printed on the identification (ID) documents that you will present on the day of the test. If it does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.
- Be sure to provide your entire first (given) name (excluding accents). Do not register under a nickname and do not register with only an initial as your first name.
- You must supply your entire last (family/surname) name. If you have a two-part first or last name, be sure to supply your complete last name as it appears on the ID documents (excluding accents) that you will present on the day of the test. For example, a last name of Fernandez de Córdova would be entered as Fernandez de Cordova.
- You have the option to include your middle initial, but it is not a requirement.
- If you register by phone, please be sure you are registered under your entire first and last names as they appear on your ID (excluding accents).
- If your online account has already been created, please confirm that the name on your ID documents still matches the name that appears in your account (excluding accents). If they do not, contact GRE® Services.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents exactly (excluding accents) match the name you used when you registered.
If Your Name Has Changed
Name changes can be processed upon submission of the appropriate documentation to ETS. If you are sending scores and your name has changed since you took the test, contact GRE Services for assistance.
Register for the GRE General Test
Get never-before-offered official GRE practice tests, scores within minutes for all three measures and explanations for correct answers!
Show schools only the scores you want them to see — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.